Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Andrea's Pumpkin Pie

Andrea's blog was one of the first I read regularly, quite a few years ago now. We had similar ideas about family time, homeschooling, and food. She's no longer blogging, but fortunately I wrote down some of her recipes and over time, they're now numbered among our favourites.

This is her pumpkin pie recipe; it is definitely the best pumpkin pie I've ever eaten.  Believe me, I've eaten a few! My first taste of solid food was pumpkin pie. Mmmm... I love anything made with pumpkin, but pumpkin pie is my favourite just like autumn is my favourite season.  With its lovely warm rich colour, fragrantly spicy scent, and creamy smooth texture, it makes the perfect pudding but also the best cold breakfast the day after Thanksgiving.

2 cups thick pumpkin puree [you can use either tinned or puree your own stewed/baked pumpkin; just make sure it's not too thin --you want a non-watery consistency similar to whipped cream]
1/2-2/3 cup maple syrup 
1 cup milk [any nut-based milk or rice milk usually works well]
3 large eggs
2 TBS ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3-4 tsp ground mixed spice
1/4 tsp ground cloves


Beat eggs well; add maple syrup, pumpkin puree, and milk.  Stir in spices.  


Bake in an unbaked pie crust for about 75-80 minutes on gas mark4/350F/180C.  The centre should no longer wobble when the pie is ready --similar to a custard pie.  

Cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream while warm, or cool completely and serve with whipped cream!  Pumpkin pie is also nice on its own, chilled from the fridge, a day after making --or when spooned from the pie dish as crumpled leftovers.  I have to confess that in our house, I normally claim the last piece of pumpkin pie, unless, of course, I make it for a friend's birthday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.