Saturday, October 20, 2012

Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm breaking the silence with [what else?!] a recipe!

I love coffee, but I don't think I've ever posted a coffee-related recipe. Well, these sugary treats definitely contain coffee!  The original can be found here, but I will share the ever so slightly different version that I made. These are definitely "treat" cookies --but I made a few changes that increased their nutritional value.


COFFEE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
makes about 32 large cookies

1 cup raw caster sugar
1 cup raw coconut palm sugar
1 cup organic butter
2 eggs
2 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cups plain wholemeal spelt flour
2 TBS fresh finely ground coffee beans [I used these]
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda [baking soda]
3/4 cup chopped pecans [walnuts would be great too]
200g chopped Green and Black's 70% dark chocolate [I used the 70% Espresso bars]

Beat the sugars and butter in a large mixing bowl until creamy and pale-coloured. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir in flours and bicarb, and finally mix in nuts and chocolate.

Dip 1/4 cup-sized spoonfuls onto trays covered with baking paper, six cookies on each tray. Bake 350F/180C/gas mark 4 for 12-15 minutes.  Cool two minutes on the trays before removing to wire racks.  Store in an airtight tin or in the freezer.

Optional Coffee Icing
Stir 2 TBS hot water into 2 tsp finely ground coffee beans and add one cup of icing sugar plus a teaspoon of natural vanilla extract.  Drizzle over cooled cookies and allow to set before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.